It’s no secret the holiday season is our favorite. Having a calendar full of family gatherings, traditions passed down, home-cooked meals, the best holiday leftover recipes, and quality time, one would say our season is jammed packed with pure joy.
This post is sponsored by McCormick® but the content and opinions expressed here are our own.
Our Grandmothers have taught us so much about what it means to love others through the act of hosting during the holidays. Their recipes have been declared the best because they are made with love, and with the help of McCormick® Extracts, Gravy, and Herbs & Spices, each meal feels like our home year after year.
Whether you’re a Baked Ham or Turkey lover during the holidays, we’re sharing the best holiday leftover recipes from our family to yours. Being the true hostesses of the family, Mimi and Nana taught us to cook these leftover recipes following each gathering. Their love-filled dishes have become the gifts that keep on giving.
A Day in Mimi’s Kitchen
As we get older, we hope to spend more time with our Grandmothers in the kitchen, so we can carry on their legacy in the many years to come. We thought it would be fun to surprise Mimi and spend the day with her whipping up our favorite leftover recipes. Surely, it’d be a perfect time, considering the amount of Tupperware full of leftovers packed in her refrigerator from the night before!
Thanks to our local neighborhood Walmart, shopping for the ingredients was a breeze, even with two 6 month babies in tow. Every Mom dreams of peaceful, easy, and quick shopping trips while preparing for the holidays. From the fully stocked and organized shelves to the friendly faces, Walmart will always be our go-to during this busy time of year.
We loaded up our carts, and then we set out to spend the day in Mimi’s kitchen. Of course, our day did not disappoint! It was filled with laughter, full bellies, and many memories we will cherish in the years to come. Ultimately, it is our hope these best holiday leftover recipes will bring the same joy in your kitchen this year.
The Best Holiday Leftover Recipes
Mimi’s Pea Soup
For the Ham Lovers
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Ground Black Pepper
- 1 McCormick® Bay Leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Thyme Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- Leftover Ham Bone
- 20 oz package of green split peas
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place ham bone inside the mixture and cook on medium heat until peas are smooth and soft.
- Serve with ham and enjoy it!
Jenna’s Turkey Pot Pie
For the Turkey Lovers
- 2 packages McCormick® Chicken Gravy Mix
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Poultry Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cooked turkey
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (7.5 ounces) refrigerated biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix Gravy Mix, poultry seasoning, milk, water and butter in large skillet or saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Stir in turkey and vegetables. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon into 2-quart baking dish.
- Top with biscuits.
- Bake 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Preparing your shopping lists for your Holiday season?! Check out all the McCormick® products for your favorite recipes and leftovers at Walmart!