Does COVID-19’s empty shelves have you feeling discouraged in the kitchen? Recently, I (Jenna) visited Publix to tackle our weekly shopping list. I quickly realized I needed to get creative and think outside the box (I.E. Instead of Chicken Parmesan, I could serve Nan’s easy Eggplant Parmesan) as to what I could serve our family. While I was on the hunt for chicken and pasta, it didn’t take long for me to notice those two items were not as readily available as they usually are.
Tell me I’m not the only one. If you’re feeling the same weight of not being able to purchase the exact items you’re used to, don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Even though the meat and pantry sections are empty, I noticed the fully stocked produce section. Fresh fruits and vegetables are fully stocked, ready to fuel our bodies when our bodies need it most.
Nana’s Easy Eggplant Parmesan Recipe to the rescue! It’s quick, healthy, and a 30 minute meal everyone will love. Do you want to know the best part? You’ll most likely find all of these ingredients on the shelves! (Egg and Breadcrumb substitutions are listed below in case they are sold out.)
Easy Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 28 oz Hunts Canned Pasta Sauce (We love the Garlic & Herb!)
- 2 Eggs (Substitute with Almond Milk if needed! Will still achieve golden caramelized color and it's suitable for vegan diets.)
- Breadcrumbs (Substitute with Corn Flakes, Crackers, or Rolled Oats)
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice Eggplant to 1/4" thick.
- Dip slices in egg and then cover in breadcrumbs. Fry covered slices in a frying pan.
- Spread tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Layer Eggplant on top of tomato sauce and alternate each layer.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.